The MH Line
Welcome to TheMHLine's website. Please regester to use the forums.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The MH Line
Welcome to TheMHLine's website. Please regester to use the forums.
The MH Line
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coyote trapin

3 posters

Go down

coyote trapin Empty coyote trapin

Post  PAredneck Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:15 pm

i just started trappin for coyotes last winter and i just set trap here and there where i deer hunt. i only got two and i would like to make my numbers alot bigger. i control my sent with rubber boots and gloves and even sprey myself with sent killer. i would like to get around 30 of them. should i set my traps far apart? i most of the time put two in the same area about 20 yards apart. is there any lures or any other ideas that anyone knows? i would be glad to try them. thanks

PAredneck

Back to top Go down

coyote trapin Empty Re: coyote trapin

Post  Elkhunter4life Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Your doing the right thing just have to find an area that is holding a lot of coyotes there are only typically a pair sometimes up to 4 in an area of about a square mile up where I'm from so takes a lot of country to catch a lot of coyotes. Scent control is just personal opinion i have caught many fox and coyotes in sets that have just been thrown together just because i was in a hurry. Try to keep scent to a minimum but depending on the environment it is not a must but sense you are successful in what you are already doing i would keep up with what you are already doing just need more access to land to get the numbers
Elkhunter4life
Elkhunter4life

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyndeew2 Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:39 am

I went to a coyote trapping class and meet a few other NGTO' ers there that have also recognized this growing problem. At the neighborhood Christmas party I heard several stories of coyotes going into peoples yards trying to eat small dogs and not even running at the sight of a human. Coyotes are out of control and I hope that if you are reading this you would consider helping to do something about it.
One of the safe havens for coyotes is our WMA's. The best way to catch a coyote is by trapping which is not allowed on WMA's. I had heard that the DNR was considering changing the rules to allow it and that brings me to the point of my post.
If you have an opportunity to communicate to anyone that could possibly change the regulations for trapping on WMA's I ask that you please do that.
GON has a forum dedicated to varmint hunting and/or trapping and if you look you will see that there are many being caught, but in my opinion not enough. Since I hunt near the largest WMA in the state I could catch every coyote that comes onto our lease and they would just be replaced by young ones coming off of WMA property.
Many people think that coyote traps kill anything that is caught in them which is not true. Coyote trappers use traps with gaps in the jaws that allow most small animals to get loose unharmed and if you look at the pictures on GON you can see that the coyotes in these traps are not physically harmed except for their pride.

Lyndeew2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum