The MH Line
Welcome to TheMHLine's website. Please regester to use the forums.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The MH Line
Welcome to TheMHLine's website. Please regester to use the forums.
The MH Line
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Trapper, Need Help.

4 posters

Go down

New Trapper, Need Help. Empty New Trapper, Need Help.

Post  mcdog827 Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:31 pm

I am a 1st year trapper from PA. I am primarily targeting fox. I am having trouble getting my traps bedded really solid as well as getting the pan cover screen to stay down once I have done my final sift over the entire set. I am getting a lot of dig outs and misses. I am affraid that I am only educating what I am missing. I have pulled my traps for the week to let the area calm down a bit. I am looking for some advice. Thank you

mcdog827

Back to top Go down

New Trapper, Need Help. Empty possible answer

Post  Camo23 Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:41 pm

not sure about PA cause im in Indiana but i have found that when i set for canines and get alot of dig outs or misses its because the trap bed has sent on it or my traps need cleaned as far a getting a good bed i like to sift in around a half inch over the anchor then set trap in and finish in usual fashion... seemed to help me hope it helps you... good luck on the line

Camo23

Back to top Go down

New Trapper, Need Help. Empty Re: New Trapper, Need Help.

Post  Elkhunter4life Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:27 am

sounds like a scent control problem to me or there is not enough structure around your sets to make the target animal go where you want him to go. with the bedding issues i would have to recommend bringing along some of your own dirt that is scent free of anything and sift in your traps with it to get a good bed and then compact the non moving parts to get a solid bed in the soil. and for the pan covers sounds like you should be using a larger cover so it can be tucked up under the jaws throughout the sifting process to keep it in place and solid
Elkhunter4life
Elkhunter4life

Back to top Go down

Post  patrapper65 Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:48 pm

I have heard that setting your trap up for a left foothold is key. Fox, as well as coyote, are slower to pull their foot on the left side than the right. I agree about the sent control as well. If there is any scent on the trap, more than likely the canine your trying to trap will dig it up. Also I find that canines will dig up a trap if the trap is not solid in the base. If they step on the edge of the trap and it moves, then they might dig it up.
patrapper65
patrapper65

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down